Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Thursday, February 29, 2024

Society of Ancients Battle Day: Ilipa preparations.

As February draws to a close thoughts naturally proceed to the Society of Ancients' battle day, which this year is Ilipa, a battle I have all the necessary figures for, and which will be held on the weekend of March 23rd/24th.

I have been a sympathetic participant in several other battle days, these being the refights of Pharsalus in 2016 and Paraitakene in 2018. I also did a solo boardgame version of Bosworth in 2021, but it hardly counts. I had grand plans to do Mantinea in 2023. Unfortunately, I got into a funk and didn't get the figures painted.

The general idea for battle days at my end is to get together with likeminded individuals and play the same battle as the Society chaps, on more or less the same date, and see about submitting a report on it to the Society's journal Slingshot. Can we manage all of that this year? I'm not sure, but it's worth a try.

Ilipa. 

I have a bit of a soft spot for both commanders, the brilliant Scipio and the hapless Hasdrubal. Of course, Hasdrubal's haplessness was largely down to his having to face Scipio every other battle. He seemed to do mostly all right otherwise, was an organiser a union would be proud of (he raised new armies after massive defeats and got Syphax to commit to the Carthaginian cause), while to further commend him he was the father of the magnificent Sophonisba.

How to do the battle.

My best battle day effort by far was the Pharsalus game. Six players, myself as umpire, bespoke rules, and a report for Slingshot. I won't be able to do all of that this year, but would like to get as close as I can.

I've been thinking of using either Commands & Colors: Ancients or Simon Miller's To the Strongest! for the rules. My table layout means that for the former I would need to adjust the scenario to fit suit my space limitations (the wargaming equivalent of converting iambic pentameter to trochaic tetrameter...); for the latter I could just about use the superb James Roach's scenario as it is. My favourite rules, Lost Battles, could be used at a pinch, but they are are not an easy ride for first-time gamers.

Much depends on how many players I can muster. My offsider SP will be away for a few weeks in 'Nam (cue various Rambo-era jokes) fulfilling work commitments. This means that we will not be able to play on the designated weekend, but I think we can get away with that. Between now and then I will try to drum up another few participants and decide how best to so things.

It's good to have a little project on the go.

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with your Ilipa refight. I refought Ilipa a number of times in 2023 using CCA's scenario as a starting point. While I used Basic Impetvs for the rules of engagement, the games played perfectly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I remember those reports. The advantage I see with CCA is that it's easy for new players to pick up - three figures per base, 3 dice; four figures per base, 4 dice; follow the cards for actions permitted, etc - and as most players are likely to be new it's good to have that simplicity. We'll see how we go!

      Delete
  2. Running a mirror of the battle day in the antipodes as the main event runs its course in England is a very nice idea and I look forward to your report. I had hoped to be in England on the day and be able to take part for the first time but the exigencies of life have put a stop to that. I cannot fight Ilipa here as Carthaginians and Spaniards are only a presence in my piles of unpainted figures. I will have to content myself with listening to an opera about Sophonisba and reading Slingshot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is a shame. I spoke several times with the late Patrick Waterson about making it over for the occasion one year or another, but the timing was never right. I hope it will be for you at some point. It is a little late in the day to get two armies painted up - I hope that Slingshot and opera will suffice! As far as the opera goes, what would you recommend? It would certainly add to the atmosphere on the day!

      Delete
    2. Glück, La Sophonisba. I only heard about it recently and was struck by your reference to the lady.

      Delete
    3. Thank you - I will investigate!

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to see how you get on with this. My plans for Mantinea also fell through and I am without any Punic figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to do a sea battle day - I'm sure you could put on a spectacle for that!

      Delete
  4. Hi Aaron, as a great enthusiast for Lost Battles I'd be keen to join in a Battle Day effort. Currently away with rowing until March 24, but after that happy to travel up to Nelson. Also super keen on a sea battle day. Almost finished the terrain for Salamis 48 BC, visited the site last year, and have 1/1200 models completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew, that sounds great. My Lost Battles offsider is out of the country for a few weeks but would be keen to get something organised here when he is back. I'm also considering going down to Rangiora for a boardgaming convention April 26th to 18th, for which, if you wanted to attend, I could bring down my Lost Battles miniatures set up for some games. Drop me a line on prufrock.japan@gmail.com when you have some time. Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  5. Sounds great Aaron! Was wanting to set up a solo Ilipia with Lost Battles, I'm 2 bases of Iberians short (just finished 2 this week) hoping to get cracking with them soon in time so at least it's in line with the day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...