Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Testing out Memoir 44

Over the last few weeks SP and I have caught up for a couple of nights yarning and gaming with Memoir 44. I'd picked up a secondhand copy within NZ through a facebook page connection and ordered some expansions from Amazon following an introduction to it during a fleeting visit to Japan.

We tried out the Pegasus Bridge scenario (won both times won by the Allies) last week and Hellfire Pass (both times won by the Allies) tonight.

Hellfire pass, from the German side


Pegasus Bridge from the perspective of the Allies

It's simple but effective and we think we can probably get our young lads interested in a game as well. It may turn out to be a good purchase for that alone.

I'd initially thought I might be put off by the out of scale miniatures the game uses, but in fact they remind me of the maps I used to pore over in the Purnell History of the Second World War zines my grandfather collected.

The scenarios require some pleasing strategising, but as with all the C&C family of games there is plenty of potential for things to go awry. Overall I'm pleased I bought into it, and there is a lot of scope for ongoing play.

It's not going to replace heavier games in my collection but will probably get more play.

We also gave Twilight Struggle a go, but that is for another post. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope you are successfully in playing with young ones. I remember to this day being the young one and playing against my Dad.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm delighted you've taken it up. The rulebook suggests you can simply take out the more complicated cards as a means of involving 'young generals', so I've had Harry playing with me. At six years old, he took me by suprise recently when I asked him how he chooses which units to activate. He told me he 'tends to pick out the most difficult bad guys first'. He also takes great pleasure in smashing me with artillery while I'm trying to do something clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, I love it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memoir 44 is an underrated but excellent game , you can play DDay in a day with day !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...