Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Monday, March 21, 2022

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Yesterday the Society of Ancients held their battle day. This year it was Adrianople; last year it was Bosworth. 

I have nothing against those battles of course, but as I do not have figures for them those battle days have passed without much comment or fanfare from yours truly. 

Battle day for 2023 will soon be announced. Apparently, the person who will do the presentation for it next year is Duncan Head, of (amongst other things) Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars fame. 

There is a flutter in my Macedonian and Punic Wars breast....

I am hoping that it will be Magnesia. 

Elephants, scythed chariots, Antiochus the Great, phalangites, cataphracts; legions, a camp, Eumenes of Pergamum and - da-dum-dum-dum - Scipio's younger brother?


EDIT - as it turns out, the battle will be 2nd Mantinea, which is an excellent choice, especially as I have a swag of more Xyston Greeks to paint. This might be just what I need to get started on them!

 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Battle day is a great concept. Have had a lot of fun with it - Paraitacene and Pharsalus being particularly memorable!

      Delete
  2. I really need to get cracking with project Magnesia! Between promising to paint for others and having the daft idea to re base!! Would be great to have some general interest on the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting for others is a bit of a commitment! Good on you, Tony. Turns out battle day is actually 2nd Mantinea. I have quite a few hoplites to paint up, so might be a good project actually!

      Delete
    2. It is indeed and one my wife basically volunteered me for which is frustrating when I am struggling for hobby time! I'm making good use of contrast paint! I'm a long way off painting Hoplites but I have many plastic and metal in the stockpile :-)

      Delete
  3. Ipsus, but do it right this time, and Tiggers survives?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...