Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2021

Revisiting Commands & Colors: Ancients

C&C:A was one of my favourite games in the oughties through to the birth of our second child. Following the arrival of young R, the lack of time to play C&C:A online over VASSAL meant that it was gradually displaced by Lost Battles, because Lost Battles is a superior solo experience.

You can certainly enjoy C&C:A solo however, so I set up a game the other night to reacquaint myself with the game.


The scenario played was Arausio.The early play was all made by the Romans. A line command and double time card got them into contact early, and they quickly went out to a 2-0 lead. 



A darken the sky missile attack failed to halt the Roman attacks, and so it came down to local, small-scale counter-attacks to pull the initiative back. This continued for another six or seven turns.


With two banners needed for victory Caepio and his accompanying unit took a chance, but it did not pay off. Left exposed, Caepio was then fallen upon by Boiorix and killed to win the day for the Germans, 7-6. 

Caepio's unit destroyed, and then himself.

While still an enjoyable game, times have changed, and C&C:A is not usually going to be the first game I pull out when I want to play ancients. Its main strengths are:

1) Once learned, it's hard to forget

2) It's a great two-player contest when both players are experienced

3) It has tonnes of scenarios

4) It is a nice game to look at and play

5) The card play system lends itself well to solo play, provided you take out the First Strike card

6) It is an excellent introduction to the era

Its main weaknesses are:

1) As much as I might have tried to convince myself otherwise (and I have!), it has deficiencies as a model of ancient warfare, and

2) It's just not quite as engaging solo as Lost Battles is. 


That said, it's still a very fine game.

9 comments:

  1. Great result for the Germans Aaron! Part of the appeal with CCA for me is it’s simplicity, the hundreds of scenarios and that it can be easily played solo. I have the Lost Battles book might try a game sometime…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If CCA hits the spot already, no need to try anything else, Mike!

      Delete
  2. C&C is easy to set up and play and with dozens of scenarios has replaced my Ancient figure gaming , I use the 'Stuka Joe' solo system for playing my games .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out, Svjek! Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  3. I Love CCA! A game we can always agree on to play. Solo play is good too. I really ought to give Lost Battle s a try some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a lot of fun when played vs an opponent. You can really find your own style when playing, and I loved that aspect of it when I was playing it competitively.

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
    2. Hi Aaron,
      Sorry I never Blogg so excuse me if this isn’t the correct way to make contact. It’s just that I saw you Lost Battles games.
      I have used the rules in the past in the UK and find them the best out there. I have an excellent 28mm Macedonian army and live in Auckland. If your interested in a possible game please make contact on email arrowsthor@xtra.co.nz
      Thanks, Mark

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mark, have sent you an email!
      Aaron

      Delete
  4. I'll have to give some of the other C&C games a run sometime,I like Memoir '44 and it will be nice to try some with differing historical flavour. I'll look into Lost Battles too. I feel your pain on the lack of time. I've found that Memoir 44 can be setup and played fairly quickly and is pleasantly different each time. It's a good one for a quick blast before bed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...