Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2024

In the post

Since moving back to New Zealand in 2019 I've missed playing Commands & Colors: Ancients. I have the boardgames of course, but playing with figures is for me where the game is best as a spectacle.  

In Japan I had made a hexmat myself, but utilizing as it did quite a lot of spray paint, it would not be very economical to use that method in New Zealand. So after a delay of five almost gameless C&C:A years, I decided to order a mat from Tiny Wargames in the UK. It should arrive soonish, and I am looking forward to it very much. Commands & Colors will never be the best simulation you will find, but it is easy to remember, small enough to play on the kitchen table, and so quick to set up and take down you can give the table back to the family by breakfast. 

Also heading this way is the World War One boardgame The Lamps Are Going Out. I have been looking for an affordable copy of it for years. The one I am getting is the paper map first edition, but that suits me fine. I will be playing it solo, and the fact that it uses areas rather than hexes is something I find helps to avoid analysis paralysis. Time will tell how much play it gets (my record with boardgames is not great!), but I hope that it will be one I can set up and play in a weekend, and come back to repeatedly when the mood strikes.

Speaking of boardgames, I also recently got hold of a copy of Ben Hull's Fields of Fire. It is a heavy undertaking, but I am building up to it. As a dedicated solitaire game it is something that once learned will be rewarding. But I digress from my stated purpose - that one is already out of the post and on the shelf!

8 comments:

  1. Hands down the C&CA series will always be my favorite of all board games I own. As you say not an historical simulation but it does give you period feel and it’s a great game. I always play a scenario from both sides like we did in our online tournaments. You win both games Major Victory, you win one and lose one the it goes to the person who got the most victory banners from both games played, anything else is a draw.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, Kevin: as a battle of wits in a genuinely competitive setting there is nothing like it this side of chess, and unlike chess, it's a wargame! I loved playing those tournaments. Casual games are good, but I really enjoyed those high-pressure games. To win a tournament was something you could look back on with some quiet satisfaction!

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  2. Look forward to some game reports with your new mat Aaron. A mate of mine has some of their mats and they’re excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding C&C - although a block game, nothing like pushng around toy soldiers if you can! I culled my gaming collection over the last 5 years but I think i still have 70 or so. I am slowly thinking of playing them. I have managed about 3 over the last 2 years :-) But I cannot help myself and do buy new games. Back at the start of May I got - all second hard at a local convention - Heroquest (played!), Junta (not played) and...Fields of Fire (!). Let me know how it goes, it does look daunting. Althought I think still owe you a review of DVG's Field Commander Alexander after I play it, promised many years ago. I have not played it :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice score, Shaun! I think if someone puts in the work Fields of Fire will be rewarding. There are some really good youtube instructionals around to help people on their way. As for owing a review of Field Commander Alexander, there is no such obligation :)

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip on instructional videos. I had been to boardgamegeek to read some reviews but had not thought of checking out how to play videos. I don't watch much gamings vids and if I do mostly skim play thorughs to see if I would like the game.

      Delete
  4. "When the dice are your enemy." Ah! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...