Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Monday, July 29, 2024

An audible feast

There was a poll recently on the Society of Ancients forum about whether members listen to wargaming podcasts while they are painting. Curiously enough - and perhaps proving once and for all that we are indeed crusty, cantakerous old coots - most of us said no, or not much.

I suspect that if the question had been more general - do you listen to podcasts of one type or another while painting, say - the answers might have been different. 

For myself, I don't listen to wargaming podcasts at all. When it comes to wargaming, I prefer the written word. I also enjoy the occasional accompanying map, illustrative graphic, apposite picture, or short, sharp, how-to youtube video, but for me reading works best: it allows me to control at what pace and level I engage with the content. 

Listening to wargaming chat (unless one is taking part in it) strikes me as a bit boring and a bit distracting. I don't think I could listen to it properly while painting, nor paint properly while listening. 

I've tried history podcasts, and had the same issue. Either the inner critic engages or else I switch off and then come to finding I can't remember what they've been talking about.

What has worked for me in the past is lectures. I had a great series on noteable Greeks and Romans that I would listen to on repeat while painting. Sadly, the format I had them in is no longer current (and besides, it was in another country). 

But what does work for me at the moment is the marvellous Mary Beard. I signed up to Audible a few months ago, found it to be not really my medium, and exited. But I had a few credits to use before I left, so on a whim I grabbed a couple of Mary Beard audible books. 

I have of course seen some of her documentaries and read SPQR, but I hadn't thought about her being a good accompaniment to painting Greek light horse.

Well, I started listening to the audiobook version of her Emperor of Rome the other night while doing the dishes. You have to love Mary - she reads the book herself. It turns out I could listen to her all day, part of the evening, and even when I paint.


If you don't know her, I would recommend checking her out. She is an absolute treasure. Quirky but carefully considered narrative structures capture your interest, and she presents familiar material in new ways, finding parallels you hadn't thought of, or approaching things from angles which surprise. You shouldn't expect military focus, but you will get great, thoughtful storytelling. 

Anyway, consider her Prufrock-endorsed!
  

6 comments:

  1. Cheers Aaron,

    I am also a fan, though I have not gone the Audible route and only have two of her books on my shelf.

    Not being a painter/modeler, I find some podcasts of interest, and worth my time. Listening while walking/exercising does help past the time as well as improve the mind along with what's left of the body.

    I would have gone with "Prufock-approved" but your point is well made.

    Good health and good gaming,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. With so many options it can be a bit overwhelming. There must be an algorithm for that!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation Aaron I may one day rejoin Audible, they send plenty of emails to tempt me! I really like the British History Podcast and History of Rome, they go into quite a bit of depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony. I've listened to some of the History of Rome, but it's either in one ear and out the other, or else I find something I disagree with, and immediately want to do a sort of letter to the podcaster, which would be utterly fruitless!

      Delete
  3. Hello Aaron,

    I am much like you and rarely (very rarely) listen to podcasts or audio books. I have tried but just can't really do it, except I did find the BBC 1970s Lord of the Ring radio cast captivated my interest, and have found old radio dramas are ok but hard to track good ones down. The closest I get realted to ancients is watching a YouTube video on a game, maybe 4 time a year. So seeing I am much like you in that respect, I will need to check out your recommendation of Mary Beard. Note I won't hold it against you if I am not fond - it is worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaun - I'm not always quite sure what I like, but I know what I don't like! I can't complain too much though. We are spoilt for choice!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...