Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Tunis, 310 BC, dispositions.

Over the past few evenings I've had that restless 'I want to play something but don't quite know what' feeling. First night I ordered a second copy of Memoir '44 so that I can stage larger scenarios; second night I did some painting; third and fourth nights I watched re-runs of The Sopranos. 

Tonight I decided to set something up.

I pulled out the Lost Battles scenario book and Tunis jumped out at me as a battle I'd not done for a long time. 

Agathocles of Syracuse. What an interesting character. I don't think I would like to have had much to do with him on a personal level, but you have to take your hat off to a fellow who would stage an invasion of Africa from Syracuse, while Syracuse was besieged!




This Lost Battles scenario gives Agathocles the advantage in army quality, 60 to 51. He has a mix of hoplites and generic heavy infantry elevated by his own inspired leadership. He has no cavalry at all, and just one unit of light infantry, but that is elite. 

Agathocles himself leads the left of his line with two units of veteran hoplites. The light infantry is on his right, in advance of the bulk of the hoplites. The centre and centre left is mainly heavy infantry. 

All of his troops are either veteran or average in quality.




The hastily-assembled Carthaginians under leaders Bomilcar and Hanno combine a dangerous mounted arm with mixed-grade infantry. The terrain does not allow the chariotry and cavalry the space to best use the advantages they offer. The light infantry is poor, and while the tip of the heavy infantry spear is strong, the iron behind is suspect.



Carthage has leaders on both ends of the line, but the leaders are of uninspired quality. It will be a hard fight for the Africans. 




Points to note: 
  • hoplites have special characteristics in Lost Battles. They hit hard, and must all-out attack if the opportunity arises. Their morale is more fragile than standard heavy infantry. 
  • the terrain is against the Carthaginian mounted. They could attempt to manoeuvre onto the flanks, but the command cost to do so is high. 
  • Agathocles seems to have the advantage in troop quality and terrain, but nothing is assured.  

11 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this battle but it looks intriguing. Seems to me that Carthaginian cav is important to the typical force and to see them neutralised is curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are hemmed in by the hills and to try to move them through them and onto the Syracusan flanks or rear would cost a lot of command points over a number of turns!

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking set up Aaron, look forward to your report. I hope the Carthaginians do well, Agathocles was such a slippery character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Aaron the Punic-Greek wars over Sicily are very interesting full of larger than life Tyrants! Hopefully one day I'll get some Hoplites painted up to explore them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone - I'm STILL working on hoplites!

      Delete
    2. Well you can't have too many, I've yet to paint any and I've already topped my stash up and wouldn't mind a few more for conversions!

      Delete
  4. That looks most interesting. I must get round to painting Carthaginians!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvellous looking set-up. The chariots of the early Carthaginians are an interesting weapon. Like the later elephants, dangerous to both sides?!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks James. In Lost Battles they are not too different from cavalry - they just look a bit more exotic! Scythed chariots, however...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...