Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Recent painting, and other goings-on

It's been a busy few weeks on the hobby front. The 15mm Achaemenid Persian army I had doubts I would ever get around to making progress on has started to take shape. Once flocking has been done, light infantry, bowmen, and Egyptian spearmen can now join the light and heavy cavalry already finished.

The light infantry and bowmen are Old Glory 15s with a few Essex thrown in. The Egyptian spear are Xyston. Lovely figures, but the shields are huge!

Anyway, the upshot is that I should be able to play some Phalanx or Commands & Colors scenarios soon.



I'm now working on painting up some useful bits and pieces: 16 Gauls, 4 Carthaginian heavy chariots (thanks Jonathan!) and 25 Dark Age types (thanks, Aaron!).

On another scale entirely, a bit of progress has also been lately made on my What a Tanker! project. Some 1/72 kits are now primed, have had their base colours done, and are awaiting some spare space on the painting table.



Last but not least, an Aussie guy whose eldest boy started at the same school our kids go to and who lives just up the road from us came round the other day for a drink and a game.

He's a video gamer, but seemed to enjoy a hastily put-together Commands & Colors scenario. He processed the rules really well, has good strategic sense, and quickly got the hang of a number of the tactical nuances.

He's a top guy too, so it's very nice to have him in the neighbourhood.

Hopefully he'll be available to join in next time we have a big game day.

You can never go wrong with C&C:A!
So, a good month!




21 comments:

  1. "You can never go wrong with C&C:A!" Well said! It is a great way to introduce non-wargamers into wargaming.

    Looks like you have had a very productive month, Aaron. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! I completely agree regarding CCA. Such a good game, too.

      Delete
  2. A productive month indeed. Hopefully the new potential recruit comes back for more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - hopefully, he certainly seemed to take to it well!

      Delete
  3. Excellent Persians and tanks! CCA is such a great game, good to hear you have a convert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, isn't it? I sent my set over to New Zealand, but kept one set of cards here. I don't play it as often as I should!

      Delete
  4. Very impressive looking Ancients, Aaron! Tanks look good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean. Tanks are taking me out of my comfort zone a bit! Some good youtube tutorials about on painting and what not though, so they are very useful.

      Delete
  5. Always good to get a chance meeting with a fellow gamer, my gaming buddy last year discovered a gamer who lived just 10 houses down the road from him and they had both lived in the same street for over 15 years and not known about each others interest.

    I like your steady approach in getting things painted up, I have too many non-painting days to be effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the good things about a more gaming oriented online culture is that barriers come down a bit, I think.

      'Steady approach to painting'. Thank you - I'd say that's the first and last time I could be accused of that! :D

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I thought so too, Fran! Rare as hen's teeth they are, to boot!

      Delete
  7. Good job !
    We love those big shield spearmen !
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of, if not thee favorite, of mine. Excellent choice sir! When I play C&CA I still play it like we did in our long ago online competitions, where you played both sides in a scenario. Winner being most victory blocks total. I think the best way to play the scenarios as balance is thrown out the window when you have a chance playing both sides. Though the cards still have a lot to say;)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well, Kevin! I was in fact waxing lyrical about those very thIngs: playing once from both sides and Vassal comps! I really did enjoy those. Probably the highlight of my gaming life to date.

      Delete
  9. A good, and very impressive, month, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! A month of rare productivity indeed. No doubt I'll slip back into old ways soon enough though!

      Delete
  10. Someone's been a busy boy? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! The right kinds of procrastination can be a great driver of hobby activity :D

      Delete
  11. Nice work Aaron! Lots of progress by the look of things!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...