Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Tying up a loose end

Back in 2007, when I was living in Japan and my passion for Commands & Colors: Ancients was at its height, I took a 'partscaster'* version of the original back to New Zealand on holiday with a view to introducing the old man to it. 

He loved it. So much so that he ordered in copies of the original game and the first expansion from the US. He bought a folding table sized just right and sourced some large plastic containers to store the blocks in orderly, easy-access fashion. When I went back to NZ thereafter we would play his copies and we roped one of my brothers in to play as well. There were some great times, with that good-humoured banter that you get when playing games with members of your family. 

That was before the old man got sick. After he got sick, we went back to playing Catan, and later Carcassone. When he got really sick we moved back to New Zealand to spend time with him. Well, strictly speaking, I moved back to find a job and house so that we could bring my wife and the kids over, but things moved too fast for the family to get here in time. One of the last things I did gaming-wise with him was paint up some 20mm figures to make a 'partscaster' version of the Desert Raiders of Catan variant. He was proud of the figures but I think we only got to play about three times before it became too hard for him to muster the concentration needed to play.

When he passed away things were pretty raw for a while. I asked Mum if I could have his Commands & Colors games and a couple of other things. They've sat on my shelves for about four years.

My brother, who lives in Australia, every now and then gives me a video call for a catch up and a few drinks when he is back on shore (he skippers a fishing boat). Earlier this year he mentioned C&C:A and we talked about how much fun those games had been. He said he'd love to play again. I said I'd kept the old man's copies and would get them to him.

It turns out that Mum is heading over to Australia to visit Stu and his family for Christmas. Miracle of miracles, she has a bit of room in her suitcase and is happy to take the games over to him. I packed up everything in the original box and left the expansion box empty so Mum can see if she can fill it with socks or something and squeeze that in as well. She reckons she can.

The old man's giant plastic storage boxes are too big to send so I am keeping them here. I put all my blocks into them tonight.

My C&C:A collection now stored in the old man's containers.

It's a strange thing, but it feels like a bit of a weight off the shoulders. I guess it has resolved something that was perhaps more important that I had realised. 

Anyway, I've got us tickets to see Iron Maiden in Auckland in September, so we will be able to talk it through in person!

* for the non-guitarists out there, a 'partscaster' is an electric guitar you put together out of bits from different guitars, or that you assemble yourself from a kit.

14 comments:

  1. Sometimes, small things have much more mass than their first appearance, so I am glad that weight is off of you and there is resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron, nice to have something that can be shared across the family that has such special memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm. Special memories for me, but everyone sees things in their own way. Nice to get a 'full circle' from my end. You don't get many!

      Delete
  3. Great memories there Aaron, long may you all enjoy CCA games!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless you and yours Aaron, I read back up on the past stories as well as this one and my eyes got a bit sweaty. I’ve enjoyed our own C&CA games we played in those tournaments way back when. Gaming for me now a days is the catalyst that brings my social life together with friends. Take care bro-ski!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, Kevin. It's been great to have that C&C:A connection, but the games change and man I love to see what you're painting and playing!

      Delete
  5. What a moving story Aaron and glad that even if you did not realise it, your mental burden is lightened somewhat.

    Also, I have noticed your music tastes in the past and I do not think we would be suitable for a long car trip together - I saw Devo two days ago and Kraftwerk is coming up on Monday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, Iron Maiden is a band I've come to later in life - Devo and Kraftwork....

      Delete
  6. Marvellous tale Aaron, as everyone else has said. It's beaut that you and your bro' will continue the 'tradition' and can have a drink, laugh and maybe even a bit of a cry as you remember your old man.
    We have a similar thing with Risk and Campaign. My brother played those with Dad, me (and friends and other family from time to time), but never got into wargaming.
    I have my late father to thank/blame for sowing the seed of my own wargaming obsession! :)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a similar wargaming connection with my father who introduced me via SPI games in the 70's. He's very old and frail now being nearly 90 but tucked away in his flat are all those SPI games in a neat pile of boxes. Fathers and sons may be sundered from time to time but the bonds of shared experiences remain forever

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...