Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Saturday, October 21, 2023

First figures painted in five years

There is a minor celebration underway at house Prufrock - we have painted out first figures for, as the title suggests, five years. It doesn't seem that long, but it is. 

Anyway, the figures are from the Fighting 15s (old Black Hat) Punic Wars range: their Carthaginian elephants and crew. 

The painting is a bit rough, and although I have glasses now, four years working with computers eight hours a day has taken its toll, and I just don't see the detail as well as I used to. These photos do show me that washes are going to have to be even more of a friend than they have been previously! I might also have to look at contrast paints. I can still 'paint between the lines' but I don't see well enough to highlight in a way that is not blobby. That may improve with practice, but definitely some technical adjustments are in order. 

Anyway, I'm glad to say the duck has been broken, and I will now have enough Carthaginian elephants to be able to stage Bagradas in Lost Battles. 




The next picture really shows the 'blobbiness' of the face highlight I did post-magic wash. I will be able to improve this by adding another wash to bring out the detail. Possibly more damning, it also shows my failure to properly file off the seams in the models, which I will have to watch out for in future.




And a comparison to a Chariot 15 Hellenistic jumbo painted some years ago. Size works well, but you can see the difference in the painting. The old painting was not especially good, but the more recent ones are clearly less carefully done.



But, to be honest, I don't really mind. Given that my painting output has been zero for as long as it has (and for a while I wondered if I would actually paint anything again at all), I'm just pleased to be back on the horse - or elephant, if you prefer.

While I was rummaging around I also tidied up a few other figures that had lost shields or spears in the move over to New Zealand. My next plan is to look at the Numidian horse and bring those bases up to standard. I painted them a very long time ago and they never got a coat of varnish. Some paint has flaked off, and the mixture of matt, satin and gloss finishes from the various paints used is not very pleasing. The idea is to patch them up a bit, give them a bit of the magic wash, and then hit them with a matt spray. 

As for what's after that, we'll see what happens. 

15 comments:

  1. Awesome! The important bit is that you didn't hate painting them, nor did you quit partway through. They look quite alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron, great to see you dipping your brush into the paint after such a long hiatus. No need to be so hard on yourself. After not painting for five years, your eyes and hands may need to retrain themselves. I know that even a week away from painting requires a little time for my eyes to refocus on the close work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron, good to see you painting / creating again, and what better subject than elephants. Washes and highlight are my friends 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice elephants Aaron! Five years without painting is a long time. Army Painter washes, speed paints and new painting glasses really help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude after painting 28mm Elephants those things look tiny! I’d call those done and put them on the table and start gaming. The ole arms length/3 foot rule applies here. The bases look nice and the models pop off of those and at three feet you can tell there elephant’s, so get gaming!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Aaron

    Good to see you are back in the saddle with another part of the hobby. I don't think I have painted for about 5 years either. I did undercoat some figures a few weeks ago but have been distracted since then on other projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Aaron. The new figures look great, and you haven't lost your touch. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all, looking forward to getting them on the table! Cheers, Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you back on the hobby horse - a little more brush-time will bring the magic back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look good, and you will get better as you get back in practise - and work out some new tricks to suit your circumstances, I suspect. I suppose if your eyesight is not quite what it was, that also means you won't notice the faults so much at 'table distance'! It's interesting how for some, painting is actually most important thing about their hobby, while for others it is more a necessary evil..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work Aaron! Glad to see you back painting up units for ancient battles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking elephants, I had to adjust after a double cataract operation but you do after a surprisingly short while!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again all, have just prepped another batch of figures so hopefully there will be more to show in a week or two!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...