Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2021

The state of wargaming, May 2021

It feels like a long time since I've written anything related to our collective fascination, but now seems as good a time as any to venture back into familiar territory. 

By way of background, it's gone fast, but I have now been here in New Zealand since February 2019. More than two years, but I still do not feel settled, and have not found a satisfying rhythm. Helping my wife and the children adjust to life here has been my primary concern; a very close second to that has been trying to make a success of myself at work (New Zealand being an easier place for me to make a good living in middle age was one of the main reasons we moved here from Japan). Work has gone well in general, but the cost of living here is excessive. Even with salary increases there is not a lot to spare. 

Preoccupations with such things therefore have affected the gaming life. I don't currently paint, rarely browse new rules, never browse figure ranges, and have almost (but not absolutely) given up on buying board wargames. 

This I give for context, but it is not all bad news: there is an active group of wargamers in the area, and I have a couple of old school friends who are interested in playing figure games. One friend is already meeting me for the occasional Lost Battles refight. With luck and planning, multiplayer games may not be too far away.

Additionally, there is the opportunity to test out some simulation ideas in the work environment. The work I do is public sector. Room to use simulation techniques for training, reflection, consciousness raising, etc may present itself, and in fact I've been given the opportunity to test out some ideas in our annual team day, so hopefully that will go well and may lead to other doors opening.

What I don't have is that desire to play solitaire that I had in Japan. I also seem to have lost the urge to paint and the compulsion to write. These may come back or they may not, but wargaming is back to being - as it was in the beginning - no great matter!

It has been good the last couple of days to have a chance to look at other people's blogs and feel a bit of the old wargaming spirit rekindling. I also read over a few of my old posts and it was (mostly!) pleasant to revisit those times and places.

All up, I'm feeling positive. It may a different kind of wargaming life now, but wargaming still does have its place. I just need a little more time to figure out what that place is exactly!


20 comments:

  1. There are seasons for everything and one for ranting about hobbies on a blog will be back :)
    Or not. But I hope you can game again with friends. That is a beautiful thing 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ratmaul! Yes, gaming with friends is a beautiful thing. Mostly though it has been to play Risk!

      Hope all is well with you :)

      Delete
  2. Good to know you're still around, Aaron. I'm wondering if the lockdowns and other issues with Covid has something to do with your return to NZ. Sounds like you were still settling in when this happened. I'm surprised to hear you mention the high cost of living there - I would've thought a bit less than when you were in Japan. Anyway, please stay in touch with the community albeit at your leisure and convenience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, I too am surprised that the cost of living is higher in NZ than Japan. Just shows that my perceptions are often wrong! When my son lived in Japan< I thought it expensive.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dean (and Jonathan!).
      We moved over here just before COVID. We were very fortunate with out timing. If we had been a couple of months later it would have been a disaster. My wife and kids moved over November 2019 after I found decent work, and we were able to buy a property and move in end of Jan 2020. If we'd had not found a place when we did I hate to think what would have happened.

      And yes, New Zealand is ridiculously expensive. Far more expensive than Japan. Labour costs are very high, there are massive taxes on petrol which drive up prices for everything, the export market is strong and domestic prices are set to match export prices, and of course anything imported has to be sent here with high shipping costs. Not a good combination!

      But on the plus side we are virtually COVID free, which is a huge blessing.

      Hope you guys and your families are coping OK and are healthy and well.

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  3. Given the major shifts in life and career you describe, it certainly seems inevitable that your hobby interests would be touched as well. I had a break in the hobby brought about by life and career changes--when the time was right, I found my way back in. Trick is to not force it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ed. Good to hear that I'm on the right track, and good advice not to force it.

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  4. Aaron, very good to see a post from you regarding your current status. Given time and either motivation or inspiration, I reckon you will return when the urge strikes. No desire to either game or paint is not something I have faced but I understand.

    I see you still active on the SOA Forum so that is good!

    Best wishes and I hope to see results of some of your Lost Battles games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, and great to have you on that forum!

      The fact I've had no desire to do reports for the games played is a little strange. Hopefully that will change!
      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  5. Ebbs and flows are very much part of the hobby. Enjoy what you can, and don't stress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap! It’s been two years already? Dude Covid has stolen an entire year from me, just crazy. It’s great to hear that you have a group to game with, if for nothing else then to socialize and able to vent. It is good to hear from you from the other side of the world.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - where has the time gone?! Good to see you've been getting some painting in though, Kevin!

      Keep well my friend.
      Aaron

      Delete
  7. Hi Aaron, having a local gaming group sounds like the ideal bedrock for a bit of re-engagement with the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hobby mojo can come and go and other parts of life can take precedence. And it obviously has not completely gone if you read a blog or two and still acquire the odd boardgame and play the occasional game. And as people have always said, wargaming is a broad church and I think you are allowed to change denominations if you want :-) Interests can change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, what am I, I wonder? A lapsed Methodist? Hope you are doing well, Shaun.

      Delete
  9. Take courage, sir. While I will refrain from saying that all will be well, or all will work itself out, I can relate to your moment(s) of introspection. Recent events (well, within the past year) gave me pause . . . Slowly, and fortunately, I managed to find a way back into the world of wargaming.

    Like many others, I am certain, I find myself wishing that your blog postings were more frequent. Then again, I have always enjoyed what you have produced, be it battle report, a trip down memory lane, or the simple commentary on recent goings on.

    Seems to me you have your priorities right. Seems to me that you will find a way. After all, you have been blogging for over a decade now, right?

    Cheers,
    Chris Hahn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. Yes, it has been a while, I suppose! Probably running out of things to write about...

      And thanks for the encouragement, too.

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  10. I hope you feel settled soon Aaron, I am sure that feeling gets in the way of hobby activity a lot. I know it has been for me preparing to move house and that's within the same town. I'm sure you'll feel settled and get back into it full swing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...