Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Triumph: Rules for Tabletop Battles Ancient and Medieval

Local wargamer Roundie has been generating some interest in the Washington Grand Company's DBA um, 'tribute', rules set, Triumph. I haven't been able to attend any of the game days/nights myself yet due to a busy social schedule (i.e., work), but I hope to get along at some point. In preparation, I made a visit to Wargame Vault and picked up a PDF copy. 

The DBA derivation is obvious, but while I do not know DBA well enough to be classed as anything more than a raw amateur, I do feel that there are enough changes in Triumph to take it from being merely DBA 4.0 into a game its own. 

For one thing, the troop type categories are more nuanced, and for another the introduction of a points system and battle cards allows armies of different sized forces to fight, and neatly introduces some strategems and augmented troop abilities. 

The terrain generation system and board sizes also bring something new to the table (quite literally), and even though it still uses the devil's own battle method (yes, that's you, opposed die rolls), I am determined to at least give the rules a chance. I haven't played wargames competitively since the old Commands & Colors: Ancients online VASSAL tournaments, and would like to see if I could get up to speed with these.

At any rate, it will be a good excuse to get off my backside, join in with some of the local gaming events, and perhaps even paint up a few more figures. We shall see!

13 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see what you think of the rules Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy. I've played a few games of Triumph and really liked them. They written in plainer, if not plain English. And like you said, the randomized terrain and army lists add some variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I agree that it seems to be written a bit more clearly than DBA, but the test will come during games, I think!

      Delete
  3. Aaron it's good to see a post from you. You'll have to let your fans (me at least) know how it all goes for sure!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, am it's nice to know that there's a fan out there somewhere! ;)

      Cheers to you, too!

      Delete
  4. Hello Aaron

    I played Triumph a few times in the pre-release version. I did not mind it. I am not a fan of DBA but do prefer Triumph to DBA due to the greater troop types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaun, nice to hear from you again :) I didn't like the sound of it in the pre-release version to be honest, but with people playing it locally I thought I would give the published version a try. Has captured my interest now, anyway!

      Delete
  5. I join the queue of those interested to read your impressions upon reading and, most importantly, playing.
    (DBA is amongst my most disliked, so it will need to be a glowing review for me to consider them!)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James. I will do my best to give a full and honest account!

      Delete
  6. Nice Aaron gives you an excuse to get those ancients out! Would love to hear your take on them, out of interest what are your thoughts on opposing dice rolls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, hope you are well! I just don't like them. I hate the 'there's no situation that can't be saved by a 6/1 roll' aspect of it. But I think that's because I tend to have quite bad dice luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Aaron! Always find discussion on game mechanics and resolution interesting, however I'm very inexperienced on the gaming side!

      Getting by here hope you're all settled now at home?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...