Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Monday, March 18, 2019

Recent goings on

Hello again all; have been off the radar for the last couple of months for various reasons, so I thought it was probably about time to drop in with an update.

Not much of wargaming note has taken place, though I did manage a Vassal game of Decision Games's Battle for Germany with boardgame mate Pat (late of Kobe, but now in Kyoto). It's a fun game, and it was neck and neck until Pat liberated Berlin with his Russians.

Funnily enough, I've managed a spot of painting, in this case for the old man's Settlers of Catan variant, which needed some 'desert raiders'. Twenty-four 1/72 figures from the HAT Almoravids box did the trick, and the painted figures do add something to the game. Settlers is a bit of a family favourite, and has taken over from Risk as the default when it's gaming time, so I expect they'll get plenty of use. The price of paints and painting supplies over here did make me gasp somewhat, however. I'm used to paying NZ$2-3 in Japan, so I just about blew a gasket in the store that passes for a hobby shop in Nelson.

I also had to do a quick return to Japan for family reasons in early March, and while there found Tsukuda Games's Battle for Hoth in a second hand store. The box is pretty beaten up, but everything else is in good nick (provided the treatment I'm adopting to straighten out the warped boards works!), so it was a nice little score, I think. The same shop had the other two in the series too - set on Endor and the Death Star - but those appealed to me less, and I only had so much room in the suitcase given the need to bring in some reasonably priced paints!

The game (photo nicked from user Matt Boehland at boardgamegeek)


To finish on a less happy note, as readers may be aware, New Zealand was hit by a terrorist attack last Friday. It was not the sort of thing you like to see anywhere. I won't go on about it, but felt it needed to be mentioned.

Anyway, until next time!


14 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you on the other side of the earlier mentioned "big changes." I'm surprised to hear of the price shock: I had heard that things in Japan were expensive, but I suppose it makes perfect sense, by extension, for NZ to be up on that scale. Concerning the recent unpleasantness, quite sickening, but I have to say that I have been impressed by your PM's handling of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you back in Blogland Aaron. I think we can all understand your absence. I hope things get back to the same old gaming painting ways of old, soon.
    As Ed says great work by the NZ PM, I wish our PM could be that open and honest about getting things done for the good of her people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron, I recall you mentioning moving back to NZ awhile back. In fact, it was before I knew we'd also be moving. Quite an unexpected coincidence! Seems we both are back on the blog radar again. Best wishes, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear your alive and flourishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see the e-ink flowing again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I instantly thought of you when that senseless madness took place. It’s happening way to frequently in all parts of the world. I pray for it to stop and for the families who lost loved ones.

    I am glad your okay, and were able to see family. I hope you’ll all be reunited soon.

    Love that cover on book, so retro. Stay in your happy place my friend.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're getting back on line. The attack was despicable, and I agree with others regarding your Government's response, and determination to do more to further reduce the odds of future acts of mass murderous irrational hatred. Here in the US,. we are sick of attack after attack, with no action because of the need to appease the gun lobby. I won't say anything more about the despicable creature occupying the White House,. who fails to see how his words and actions encourage atrocities like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad to hear from you again, Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see you are on the net again, Aaron. Hope that things well get normal again soon, after the "big change". Looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the kind comments, all. Much appreciated. And yes, the old heart aches for what is going on in the world. There's a lot to be said for taking your troubles out on a game board rather than on real people!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Send me a list when your paints run out and I'll be happy to send you a care package - found quite a nice hobby shop in the new neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaron, like your Thapsus article in Slingshot, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...