Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Friday, December 28, 2018

2018 painting review

Surprisingly, 2018 has been by far the best year of painting I've yet had.

Somehow, towards the end of the year, and in place of my usual shiftlessness, a sort of  'just paint it' mentality developed. I think in part it was a reaction to the fact that I knew I was probably going to be moving country at some point, and so clearing out all those boxes of primed but unpainted figures became a necessity.

But it wasn't only that: the painting drive was also assisted by purchases of some mainly painted figure lots, which gave impetus to a couple of projects and made quickly putting together playable forces possible. Being able to imagine a game after a month's work is far preferable to being able to envisage several months of work and several months more work yet, so thanks and appreciation is due to the suppliers of those lots.

15mm painting motivation was also provided by a review owed, by some figures won in a competition on Jonathan's blog, and by general feelings of desperation and guilt.

The thing I'm most pleased about though is getting the 1/72 What a Tanker project off the ground and ready for a game. That one required starting from scratch in a new scale, learning new skills and techniques, and experimenting until things were at an acceptable level of quality. At first I was very unsure how to approach it all. I'd even planned to do it in 6mm, but while waiting for my Heroics and Ros purchases to arrive, I wandered into a newly opened toy store and seeing the models there I just thought 'man, you're in the best country in the world for 1/72 kit. Just do it!' And so I bought a stack of them and the decision was made.

There are some disappointments, however. I didn't get the Union figures finished to partner the 1/72 Confederates that were done, and I made no progress with 1/3000 naval.

Still, there's always 2019!

On that note, I'd like to wish everyone all the best for the coming year, and hope that you all live well, that you keep your loved ones constantly apprised of your regard for them, and that you prosper greatly!

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Aaron, on reaching your best painting year on record. It has been fun watching your collections grow. I have especially enjoyed gazing at your new terrain mat which I think is a thing of aesthetic beauty. Glad I could provide a modicum of inspiration towards this goal.

    Best wishes in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A busy year for your painting and kit building table and some good gaming falling out of that. Best wishes for 2019 and all the moving plans that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear of your productive year, Aaron. I would like to do What A Tanker in either 20mm or 1/72nd, but was surprised that some of them cost close to 28mm or 1/48th stuff (the latter scale being what I currently have). Anyway, best wishes on your move next year and new projects as well !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, prices can be tricky things. Most of my model kits came in at around $7 US to buy. The Dragon pre-paints were double to triple that, depending on the model.

      All the best to you for 2019 as well!

      Delete
  4. Well done- and Happy Christmas, Aaron! Good luck with the pending mnove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon! And best wishes for your TtS enterprises. Hope to actually get a chance to play them again some time soon!

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  5. Figures on hand drive games, and games to be played drive painting; a form of symbiosis, to be sure! Seems lioke 2018 was an outstanding year for both.
    Have a happy new year, and a very successful move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Peter! Thank you very much, and I hope you'll have a great 2019 in all respects!

      Delete
  6. A productive painting year, indeed. I would suggest that in reflecting on the year you might also add another successful period of blogging--I know I've appreciated your posts. Good luck on your upcoming life changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, very kind of you to say. All the best to you for 2019 too!

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  7. A very productive year I hope 2019 is as productive! I hope your move is no more diffucult than it needs to be!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...