Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Thursday, February 22, 2018

The more things change the more they stay the same

I realised today that it's been a touch over eight years since I started this blog. That means I've been doing this for longer than I was at university, and I was at university for what seemed like a very long time.

The blog's been going for twice as long as I was together with my first steady girlfriend, and it seemed then as if we were growing into middle age together.

And this place is now as old as my second daughter, who is such a delight that I wish she could stay as she now is forever.

It's been an interesting period of time.

I was amused though to see that at the end of January 2010 I'd posted here about a Lost Battles play-by-email duel with long-distance wargaming mate John A (he keeps a very fine blog here) in which we were playing the Asculum scenario from both sides. At the end of January 2018 I also by accident found myself playing a play-by-email duel, using the same rules system, with long-distance wargaming mate Andrea T. Again, funnily enough, the scenario has been Asculum, from both sides.

Quite a neat little piece of symmetry, I think.

One final thing: as part of my first job in Japan I was lucky enough to teach a doctor who had served in the Pacific War. He was a lovely man with a keen sense of humour and many stories to tell. We talked a lot about the war when we could, and he used to joke with the other teachers about how he and my grandfather had been enemies.

Now, thirteen years later, I have been engaged to teach him again.

His circumstances are not now so good as they were. He is just months shy of reaching his century and has recently been moved to a rest home. While still fairly mentally sharp, he does not remember me at all, and I suspect that we will be getting reacquainted from week to week. It is a little sad, but again a nice piece of symmetry. I go to see him in the morning for our first lesson. I think my grandfather would have approved.

15 comments:

  1. 8 years is quite an achievement in this young bloggy / internet thing. Congratulations, I am just going to check out John's blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fine achievement, Aaron! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The great circle of life my friend, enjoy ever single day you have and be blessed for your family, friends, and acquaintances that make you a better person.

    I for one have enjoyed your reads over the years, and even a game of two! I believe we first met playing the tournament online Command & Colors Ancients. Those were fun times.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great times :) Always enjoy your posts Kevin, and my CCA involvement really has left me with a lot to be thankful for!

      Delete
  4. Eight years blogging and still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More! More! You're managing much more than I am at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on 8 years of blogging. A lot of full circle elements there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all! Yes, a long time but it's been good fun :)

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eight years! It does not seem that long. I have been following since soon after it started and I am still here enjoying what you post, so you much be doing the right things :-)

    Life does seem to have a certain symmetry when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the blogoversary. Best wishes on reconnecting with the centarian veteran too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! It's been good, but a little sad as well.

      Delete
  10. It's really been that long? I do remember the Asculum scenario. I did not realize that LB is that old. I also don't really know who won the game other than Pyrrhus. Such is the nature of LB. Here's to another 8 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, funny isn't it - you can often remember the side that won, but not necessarily who played it! Ego-free gaming? :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...