Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Last of the Gauls

And so the last of the Gauls are done. I don't know if people have ever experienced an antipathy build up over a period of time towards a particular sculpt in an army you are painting, but, in this army, it did. There were two particular sculpts - and four others not far behind - that I grew to absolutely hate. It made painting this army a pretty bad experience, and is a large part of why these last few units have taken so long to do. By the end I just didn't care very much (and it shows) - it was simply a matter of gritting teeth, slapping paint on and getting them finished.

But they are done, and that's that.

You may notice the singly-based figures at the rear. I was planning to throw the dominant sculpt you see there out, but decided in the end that I would condemn it to eternal markerhood. But that might change if I could ever bring myself to paint another 50 Gauls to replace them all. I would get a lot of pleasure out of stamping on them....


But that's 300 infantry and 50 cavalry in total now, so enough for my Lost Battles needs.






15 comments:

  1. Good staying power and a result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm - feel like I've done ten rounds with a certain M. Ali!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Well, when you get to to Vercellae it will all be worth it, Paul :

      Delete
  3. Impressive stoicism! I can recall how I disliked the reloading guy from the Airfix French Line Infantry set. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I remember that figure! There are one or two in the Esci ACW packs that come to mind as well!

      Delete
  4. Dude you are becoming like Dean, a painting machine! I know exactly what you mean about "that" sculpt that must be painted as your in a catch 22 without it. Wouldn't it be nice if we could hand pick our models without having to buy a blister?

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would! To be fair in this case though, I knew what I was getting in for - I just couldn't handle it!

      Delete
  5. Aaron, what was it about these particular figures that drew such disdain when painting? Was it the sculpting, the pose, variety in uniforms, tackling too many in one batch, or something else?

    I don't recall hating a particular figure but there are pieces that I do not particularly enjoy painting. Artillery limbers are in this classification.

    Tackling too many figures at one time can raise the sense of "can I just be done with this!" but limiting the number of figures in a "unit" helps reduce this emotion.

    Anyway, you powered through and I like the results. Now, on to Lost Battles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, it was a mixture of things: the figures were too bulky - they had a massive head and body - were fairly crudely sculpted, were fairly ugly all round, and there was also the repetition!

      Delete
  6. You are a machine, sir! Looking good and a fantastic accomplishment. I've got 300+ of my own that needs painted. Get busy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very late start to painting this year, so a bit of catching up to do! You have 300 too? I pity you!

      Delete
  7. Nice job Aaron! An impressive output of miniatures. I need to take a leaf from your book and power through my projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony - I was actually partly inspired by your recent magnificent efforts in 20mm!

      Delete
  8. The sculpts don't look all that bad in the pictures, and will look fine en masse on the tabletop. I still have a dozen or so 90% painted Old Glory Gauls that have been awaiting a few hours work to be done... for about 5 years. I just c an't make myself do them.
    Perhaps, as Jon implies, if I divided them in, say... three parts? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...