Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Thinking about game systems

Five years ago, if I thought about how much I'd invested into games systems, I would have said that Commands & Colors: Ancients was top of the heap. I have the base game and all the expansions bar the Spartan one, so six altogether. By the time the Spartan expansion had come out I'd realised that while I loved the game I resented buying wooden blocks when nine times out of ten I was going to play the game with miniatures or on VASSAL anyway, and that in terms of game play I was getting diminishing returns from the series. Of course, now I wish I had just got the damned thing, but it's too late for that!

Naturally, C&C:A is not the only system I've bought into. I have four of the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series by the Gamers / MMP, three of the GMT Musket and Pike series, and three of the Gamers / MMP Civil War Brigade Series. The card-driven point-to-point area control games derived from We The People all share common features, but whether you would call them a distinct system I'm not sure - I guess Hannibal, Successors, For the People and Barbarossa to Berlin probably are linearly connected, but Sword of Rome, Twilight Struggle and Labyrinth are not so clearly among them. I suppose at a pinch I could claim those first four games as part of a system.

The A Victory Lost stable is represented in casa Prufrock by four games as well, along with four of the Undaunted series and three from the recent Littoral Commander system. 

But as I pushed an order through for a couple of Memoir '44 expanions last night, I found that Memoir '44 had overtaken them all. 

I did a quick inventory: two sets of the base game, the Mediterranean, Pacific and Eastern Front expansions, the Overlord and Breakthrough expansions, the Terrain Pack, the Equipment Pack, the winter/desert board, The Winter Wars expansion, and of the battle maps Through Jungle and Desert, Khalkin Gol and Tigers in the Snow. I can now add to those Sword of Stalingrad and the Dieppe Disaster (well, I will be able to when they arrive in the post!). So sixteen items altogether, and probably somewhere in the region of $1200 spent.

It is bizarre that I will now baulk at paying $140 for a GMT hex-and-counter or card-driven game, but will pay that for two Memoir battle map expansions. It is especially bizarre given that I had for various reasons refused to have anything to do with Memoir '44 until a few years ago.

It made me wonder what has changed in the way that I collect, play and evaluate the relative worth (to me) of board games and board game series.

I think it comes down to a combination of circumstance, stage of life, and time in the hobby. 

When I first got back into board wargaming I was living in Japan. I got games from the US, from the Japanese version of ebay, or had them given to me by the very generous Pat Hirtle. At this time I was still discovering what I liked, and would often choose games because they were available rather than because they were something I had a particular burning interest in. This was a great introduction to the hobby, and while there were some hits and there were some misses, that process is vital to discovering one's tastes.

The longer I have been gaming the more I appreciate those games that actually get played. As much as I like the idea of having Grant in the Wilderness nearby, and of Barbarossa on three maps, Marston Moor or Breitenfeld there for when the moment is right, the reality is, for a busy person with a family, those moments come seldom. When there is an exploratory text on a Thursday for a game day on Saturday or Sunday, realistically, choices come down to games that you know, that you can set up and take down fast, and that can be played to completion in three hours.

Another factor I've come to consider is system longevity. Most of the successful boardgame systems eventually get updates or reissues. There are new editions with new counters, rules, cards, maps; either you update or you are stuck with a first edition in a second (or third) edition world. It doesn't mean you can't still play the games, but player aids, errata, glitch-fixes, living rules and the like are now not a straight fit. 

Ironically of course, Memoir has out a new edition of the base game, but as it is a modular system and fully compatible with previous versions it is not the issue it is with, say, the Great Battles of History series, where you might have to replace a map or a bunch of counters to play the revised version of a scenario. 

So what am I trying to say here? I guess the point is that I've surprised myself by investing so much into a system at which I previously turned up my nose. Why I've done it is essentially the same reason that I painted up all my 15mm figures: I will use them. I hope that one day I will get to play out the scenarios in 2nd Fleet, that I will get my hordes of 28mm fantasy figures painted, that I will be able to set up Siege of Jerusalem or War in Europe, but I know that I will play the Memoir '44 expansions I just ordered, and at this stage of my experience in the hobby, that is something I value.

I would love to hear how others think about the way they invest in games systems, so please feel free to leave a comment! 


7 comments:

  1. I hear you, Aaron! There is a big difference between buying a game because the topic is interesting, the mechanisms are compelling, or “one day I really must play this,” and buying one because you know it will actually make it to the table.

    I have always been drawn to those big aspirational games. The ones Nicky Palmer claimed years ago as "large and luscious." These are the HUGE multi-map monsters, the grand campaigns, and the huge miniature projects that promise a wonderful day when the stars finally align. Often, that day never arrives. They are enjoyable things to own, read about, and occasionally set up in one’s head or even on one's table. But if a gaming day comes together at short notice, the choice often comes down to something everyone knows, can set up quickly, and can finish before real life gets in the way.

    For me, that is CCA using 6mm figures. While I do not own nor have ever played Memoir '44, I reckon these are of the same cloth. You know the core rules and the expansions give you a new setting or a few new toys to play with. It is easy to see why money feels better spent on something that will generate actual games rather than merely sitting on the shelf looking full of promise.

    Interesting thought that we are not really buying games as much as buying possible gaming occasions. My boardgame closet is stacked with possible gaming occasions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With you all the way Jon! I guess there is 'aspirational' and 'practical' and you need a mix of both in your collection!

      Delete
  2. Aaron, to answer your Feedburner question on my blog, paste your blog's url into the blank "Original Feed" entry under "Configure Proxy". That should populate "Your feed." Then hit "Refresh feed." After I changed to "http" in my blogroll for your entry, your latest post is showing. For mine, change my url in your blogroll to "HTTPS" and save That should publish my latest on your blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I had just been experimenting with the very same thing myself based on your earlier fixes, and it seems to have worked. Yours was under HTTP before in my 'blogs followed' gadget. I hope they get a universal fix sorted soon - the last thing we want is for blogger to not be fit for purpose! Cheers, A

      Delete
  3. I started playing board games back in the mid 60s, and while I went on to RPGs and miniatures I never completely gave up on them. Back in 1990 I decluttered my collection by selling off around 1000 games. Now days I am mostly focused on C&C as the system I play. Also like you I don't like the blocks, so I have added miniatures to most of the games without them. I am added with this by also owning a lot of Hexon terrain so I can build any battlefield and use miniatures of different scales.
    As for systems I do like the card driven challenge, but also the various additional card sets, armor and morale rules that add variety and flavor to the periods while still being very playable.
    I'm not locked into simple systems and short playing times as I still on occasion get in a game of Civilization, and BattleTech

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say the C&C games do really hit a sweet spot (unless you hate using cards!). I still like to have the option of longer games, but these I mostly play solo. Loved your most recent post, by the way. That game looks magnificent. Cheers, Aaron

      Delete
  4. Quite the thought-provoking post/set of remarks/glimpse into your wargaming history or evolution and preferences, etc.
    On finishing the read, I was reminded of the saying "whoever dies with the most toys wins." Not sure why that connection was made, but it seems applicable - at least tenuously.
    The limited expense report of your investment in a certain game-system or stable of products was interesting. I confess that I would be curious but also perhaps prefer not to know how much I have spent over the years on this wide-ranging hobby.
    With specific regard to C&C: A - I have seen the product up close once or twice, and have read summary reports about its use - both online and in more traditional mags, but have never handed over the cash for the colorful box and comparatively large number of scenarios.
    None of the above directly answers your posed question. Apologies. I would be hard-pressed to recall the last time I played a boardgame and or purchased one. I would hazard a guess that it was an Avalon Hill product.
    Anyway, to turn the tables on you, the blogger, I wonder if you've given thought to what happens 10 or 15 years down the road (presuming AI hasn't taken over completely) with your collection of games and interest in gaming systems. Do you think you will still be playing Memoir '44 in 2036? I seem to recall you mentioning children in previous posts . . . Have they expressed any interest in the hobby enjoyed by their patriarch?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...