Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Getting back on the painting horse

Well, it's that time again. With the amount of painting I need to do matched only by an increasingly epic capacity to procrastinate, I need to pull finger and get started.

First thing to do is finish my Roman Civil War project. The cavalry and the blue army are done, so we're over half way there. All I need to do is paint up about 70 figures and touch up another 170 odd and all will be completed.

There's really no excuse not to do it!


But still, to concentrate on the trees rather than the wood, for the ordinary legionaries we should go something like this:

1) base coat the flesh areas
2) block paint shield backs, pila hafts and footwear brown.
3) give the armour, shield bosses, helmets and pila heads a black wash
4) do belts in a lighter brown and use this shade to also highlight other browns
5) base coat tunics, helmet crests and shields red
6) wash the armour again, this time in a mixture of black and Tamiya smoke
7) drybrush armour with silver
8) touch up and highlight belts
9) paint scabbards red-brown
10) paint sword hilts and shield bosses bronze
11) paint helmets - some bronze, some silver
12) highlight tunics and helmet crests
13) highlight shields
14) highlight flesh
15) paint pila heads silver
16) paint stands green

Then it will be two coats of Future/Klear followed by a matt varnish.

So, 19 steps to glory and a triumphal parade!

I hope to be able to report back with some progress in a week or so...

8 comments:

  1. When you put it like that it seems so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to results in a week or so!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From painting my own Romans I think highlighting most things doesn't really improve equal to the amount of effort required to do it. I try to do the face, the fingers/toes and apply a nice transfer. I highlight cloaks and generally put more effort into officers ofcourse. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Edzard! Yes - I don't overdo the highlighting. Flesh areas, cloaks and tunics are the main recipients. I don't use transfers, though I probably should after looking at how well fine your Romans look here: http://moedbeleidentrouw.blogspot.jp/search/label/15mm%20Field%20of%20Glory

      Cheers,
      Aaron

      Delete
  4. I would have sworn you were working on Hoplites? How did they transform into Romans? :D

    Looking good so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, the optimal word there John is 'were'! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...