Have been testing paint and pattern combinations for the 330 or so Gauls I have to paint. It's very slow going, but some progress has been made. I've now got about four sets of base and highlight colours that go together reasonably nicely, and another couple that I'll use base and wash with. Not very happy with the patterns so far, but hopefully I'll get better as we go along!
The idea is to have around half of the figures in drab, plain patterned articles,with every second figure having something mildly fancy (stripes of some description; rich colours; armour, etc), and every sixth or seventh figure in something a bit spiffy (in checked patterns, having a nicely striped cloak, good shield, etc).
It's very slow going, but once I get the groundwork done things should progress faster (he says with fingers crossed...).
To finish on a positive note, I pulled out the few bases of Gauls I painted six years ago and while they are too small to join this crew it's noticeable that my painting skills have improved in the interval, so that's some good news.