Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Terrain board update

The basic terrain for my January game project has now been largely completed.  The boards don't look quite as good as I'd hoped; the squares show through, but so too do the joins.  I guess that's what you get for using cheapo materials!  Still, this is an experiment, so I don't mind too much, and once troops are on the table there should be plenty to distract viewers from such quibbles.


I'm quite pleased with how the squares show up under the flock.  They aren't overpowering, but are clearly visible from the right angle.  Thanks are due again to this tool.


Here you can see the beautiful joins in the foam mat... (yes, these mats are from the Japanese equivalent of the dollar shop!).


And with some jumbos for scale.

Despite the joins and the fact that one of the board warps a little, there's nothing that a few troops and a bit of tape shouldn't fix.  I think these should serve their purpose, and next time I make a terrain board I'll know what to do better.  Onwards and upwards, as they say!

4 comments:

  1. The boards look good - the flocking is a nice color too. Your hard work paid off well. One thing with new projects is that you add the experience to your tool kit for future reference. Happy Holidays, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Dean. Happy holidays to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the boards. The joins between are what they are, it doesn't bother me in the least. I especially like how the boards seem to go together equally well in any direction. Mine suffer from "this is the middle and this is the edge" effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sean. Yeah, I wanted to avoid that edge/middle problem, too. This way I can arrange them to fit on any of my tables, and for whatever size game I want to do. Now have to get some matching river and hill terrain together - to help cover those joins ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...